Saturday 13 August 2011

Arsenal; in crisis or in rebirth?

Lately a lot of us Gooners have been worrying about what happens now? What happens if and when Cesc and Nasri leave?

From all the talk on Twitter and in the media on Friday it looks certain that both will depart, and to be brutally honest I will be glad to see the back of them. To me Cesc is an idol, I grew up supporting Arsenal, however missing out on the ‘Invincibles’ due to lack of coverage and internet, and the fact I was 10 years old living in a family of football non-supporters, hence why Cesc is a legend to me. My first proper match I watched was Arsenal vs. Juventus at Highbury and Cesc along with TH14 ran the show. After that the Champions League Final, a day of true disappointment, but I’m not going to dwell on such issues. The fact is that Cesc’s greatest moments were in an Arsenal shirt, times such as that stunner vs. AC Milan and THAT free-kick against Aston Villa, and I will always appreciate what he has done for the club and how professional he has been about leaving, not a sour word here nor there. A lot of respect and good luck to him in his future.

With Nasri, I greatly enjoyed his four month cameo for us last season and his goals vs. Fulham at home were incredible, no taking away from the fact. However he and his agent have given him a sour view in the eyes of supporters with every new story in the media and his constant refusal to sign a new contract with us. Good riddance and good night to him.

Not Enough, Arsene.
This brings on the question, ‘Arsenal; in crisis or in rebirth?’ and however much to many of us it may seem we are in total meltdown, I take this opportunity to open your eyes to the fact that firstly ‘In Wenger I trust’ and secondly at last we will have a squad of players who actually want to play for us! Obviously signings will need to be made, the supposed quadruplet of Miyachi, AOC, Gervinho and Campbell are clearly not enough as I hope AOC and Campbell are giving us extra squad depth. This beckons the call to ask who else we should sign.

I personally still think we need to sign Cahill and another CB preferably being Mertesacker; these two would give us a certain aerial advantage and the brute force would come in handy against teams such as Stoke. Now comes the inevitable question, who replaces Cesc and Nasri? I would love for us to see Mario Goetze of Borrusia Dortmund (if you don’t know, get to know) however earlier on in the year the club had said that he will not go for any price this summer, which worries me greatly as he is an incredible talent and it would be a shame for him to be snapped up by Real Madrid or Barca next season in the fashion that Ozil got signed by Real last summer. Realistically I think we will sign Mata but then I still think we need to sign a striker or an attacking midfielder. I’ve heard rumours of Jadson and to be brutally honest, I have never heard of the guy, the fact that he is 27 doesn’t particularly excite me either when Goetze is 19 (I think).

Till next time Gooners, Konrad

Follow him on Twitter - @konradborzy10



No comments:

Post a Comment